Sunday, December 7, 2008

Why I Love The Number 27

I grew up on Sesame Street. I actually thought they were my friends that came to see me every day in the little box in the living room. (and I really wonder why I think the Friends characters are really my friends??? Disturbing, I know, but true nonetheless) I remember Sesame Street being one of the first moments I realized that the world did not revolve around me. Some days I still have to work on that, but this was the first of many lessons in that arena. I was quietly (well, truth be known I didn't do much quiet when I was a kid so it probably wasn't that quiet) watching Sesame Street one morning. My mom told me we had to go down to see my dad at school where he worked. I LOVED doing that, it was TONS of people to go greet and mingle. Mind you I wasn't in kindergarten yet so I was only 3 or 4, I just LOVED people.

We went down, I saw tons of people, we came home. I smiled big as I walked in the house to see my "friends." I turned on channel 6 and was horrified. It was Reading Rainbow or some dumb show about animals. Now I have nothing against reading or rainbows...and well, I do have a slight aversion to animals, but that is not why I was horrified--my friends were gone. I looked at my mom and said where are they? And she tried to explain the concept of TV show times to me. Yep, didn't care and didn't get it. I remember just thinking sadly, "they didn't wait for me..." Hhmm issues as a small kid?? :)

Moving on to why I am reminiscing about Sesame Street. Do you remember the old school Number commercials they always had? I found one on YouTube and had to add it just to bring a smile to some of your faces like it did mine when I saw it.



C'mon you know you loved the "1-2-3-4-5...6-7-8-9 10, 11, Tweleeevve" I mean really who didn't love to sing out 12 the way they did on Sesame Street. Then they always had the show "brought to you by the Number ? and the Letter ?" And then that number and letter was all through out the show...I mean really, didn't you love the number 12 and the Lady Bug Picnic song that went with that? Well in my life right now I would for sure end my show with..."and brought to you by the number 27" (which they kind of never did...it was always a number under 12, but it is my dream so I took artistic license with it. The 27th has rapidly became my favorite number the last couple of weeks because on the 27th Sam comes to the States!!! Yay for no more long distance for at least 6 months!!! And on the 27th I will officially make my move back down LA and become a So. Cal. girl once again.

Living in Redding the last 3 months has been SOOO good and I am desperately going to miss my friends, my 6 year old roommate, the bagel shop, being 2 mins from most of my friends, 5 mins from Target, getting off at 5 and being home by 5:05, the kids, and the memories that were here and the ones that were newly made. But I am ready to do the next thing. I surprisingly am really ready to get back to LA. I NEVER thought I would hear those words come out of my mouth. But I miss some of the life I lived down there. I miss being a part of a community like Mosaic and I LOVE Redding, but right now in this time of my life I LOVE visiting and having this be the place I turn off and don't think, the place where I am known as Auntie Dana, the place where my biggest decision is what time should we go get bagels.

I have LOVED the boss I work for up here and am so thankful for the opportunity and the rest it has been, while it has been crazy some of the stuff we are doing I feel like I got a chance to rest, not be so intense, decompress from experience the last year and feel refreshed for my next adventure. I start my new job on Jan 5th....So LA here I come...not going to lie the best part of LA to me is going to be holding hands with Sam....

1 comment:

Steve, Karen, Delaney, & Jude Dunlap said...

Hi Dana! If Steve and I wanted to send you a Christmas card, where would we send it? Just email me at silvergirly@aol.com or leave a comment on my blog. Hugs to you! Karen Dunlap :)