Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Planned Spontaneity

I LOVE a plan. I love the structure of a plan. I love the closure of a plan. I love seeing a plan accomplished almost as much as I love to have a plan.

As I drove around LA today I thought about my love for plans and realized that I live in a city that THRIVES in the creative "last minute" with no plan. AGHHH! Now, that isn't bad, but it is VERY different than me. I find so much freedom and excitement in having a plan. Once the plan is there that plan can be changed. But I need to start with a plan. It's not that I don't like spontaneity. I just like to plan to have no plans: Spontaneity. I am actually very excited to go into the UNKNOWN of New Zealand. I know that I don't know what is going to happen there, but that is the plan...no idea of all that could happen. For me, I THRIVE in the midst of a plan. The plan doesn't have to be rigid, it just is nice that it is there. It can change, end, adjust, or blow up, but at least there was a plan to start. I kind of get giddy to think of my plans. It makes me smile to think of the plan and look forward to something.

My friends Scott and Amy tease me that every time I with them I make a plan: A plan to be Spontaneous with the Reynolds. It's true, I am not going to lie. But I LOVE that. I love that my plan is to just go and whatever happens happens. It makes me smile. Last night I "stopped by" to get my boots I left there. That was at 5:30...I hung out with the kids until 7:30....I fell asleep on their couch at 8:30....I woke up and left at 11. A typical night at the Reynolds. And I LOVED it. I rarely know what is going to happen, but I know that I will feel at home with them and have a great time. I couldn't have planned to go over, watch a movie with the kids in their room, talk about the latest drama in my life, eat yummy hot popcorn Scot makes me, and fall asleep for three house on their couch. But I couldn't have "planned" a more perfect night. It was exactly what I needed.

This is a glimpse of the next few months of my life. I have the plan of going to New Zealand and coming back. That is where my plans start and stop. I have no idea what New Zealand will hold, and I have no idea what will come after that, but I do know that it will be exactly what I needed, and something so GREAT that I never could have planned it on my own.

1 comment:

Jose L. Arroyo said...

I still believe you said to me at the office: I left my "boobs" at The Reynolds, not "boots".