Friday, December 14, 2007

Real Life Army Men


Remember what you played when you were little? When I was little I loved playing house. Well, not just house--Disaster House. To just play house and take care of my babies was not nearly exciting enough. In my head there was always some disaster and I had to take care of people. My favorites were Plane Crash and Scary Man Trying To Get Us. I would care for people, making sure everyone was okay while we waited for someone to rescue us. But if the "someone" took too long, I would get everyone together and we would get to safety, while I simultaneously made sure they were okay and no one was left behind or hurt.

Does it really surprise you, if you know me? I kind of laugh to think about it because in some ways it is what I have done over the years. They weren't really my "kids" or my "house" but I am always SO concerned that people are okay (feeling valued) and that something is actually happening or being accomplished (it is way too boring to just sit around and do nothing). Many times I have had the privilege of helping people get out of very sticky or dangerous situations. Kind of weird that I live out what I played when I was little.

This week I found out my brother was just promoted in the military branch he serves, to Major! He will be working with NATO accomplishing many things that he doesn't tell his little sister. I am so proud of him! His promotion reminded me of what I played when I was little. You see, my brother was rarely NOT playing army men when we were little. Those little green men were seriously ALL over the house. If we played Lincoln Logs, it was not for the "house" I wanted to build, it was a fort for them. If we played outside in the field (which we did often) we didn't play anything I wanted, we played war. I LOVED being with my brother when I was little and would play anything he would let me play with him, but how do you care for those little green guys?

I eventually gave up and went in the house, or played in another part of the field and played disaster house. In my head, though, my brother and I were still playing together. He just didn't know it :) He was saving people in one area of the field and I was saving them in another.

So maybe you do grow up to be what you played when you were little. My brother and I both had deep convictions to care for people and though we are VERY different (I like to say--night and day different) I am reminded this week that in our family people always came first. My parents didn't care how we cared for people, but it was not an option to care for people. I could NEVER do the military, but I am SO proud of my brother and the way he defends our country and strategically helps others.

What did you play when you were little?

2 comments:

Jose L. Arroyo said...

I actually played school and was always the teacher, so it wasn't a surprise when I became a special education teacher.

Jennifer said...

hmmm, i played mommy to all the foster kids coming and going out of our house. oh. and i cut all my neighbors barbies hair (probably because i wasn't allowed to have any...jealousy is a nasty thing in a little girl)
now...i am a mommy to 2 kids and i do not cut their hair.