Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Everyone Needs A Rugby Coach

STRESS...man that words takes on so many different forms, doesn't it? Some days the stress of the mundane is overwhelming, other days it is the stress of change, and some days life just throws you curve balls and you don't know if you are going to breathe again.

I typically deal with stress in a couple of different ways: like the blog implies--desserts is one great way. Not always the best option since I find that they often give me migraines. But yet, I still fall into doing that some days. Another way is TEARS. Yep did that this week. And finally a good workout or run. I kind of mixed all three of those this weekend. But on Monday morning it all came crashing down. Mostly because a migraine had landed on my head, I came home from work Sunday night and instead of going to bed I ate cookies--that will definitely help the migraine, NOPE. Then I got up Monday morning at 5:50AM wide awake and stressed. So I went for the last option: a good long run down the beach and a hike up the Mount.

As I got ready I was talking to Uncle Neville and telling him that I had a migraine and that I thought it was a mix of stress and the food I was eating. He responded quite quickly and concisely, "you might want to figure that out and learn to let go of things because if you keep doing that to your body you will damage it and that is no way to live." Well, good morning DANA! Not what I expected at 6AM, but true nonetheless.

I jogged out the door down to the beach--just to remind you, it is only two blocks away:) I started jogging next to the water and instantly the tears began. I felt like I could run for miles. I cried some, I whined A LOT, and I cried some more. I got to the Mount feeling a tad bit better--clearer head and not as teary. I climbed up the Mount and was reminded how hard it is right before the top. I WANT TO QUIT EACH TIME, but for some reason I don't. Maybe because I know what is coming--that amazing view.



I sat up on the top just looking at the beach. I have a personal relationship with God, so I thought that I would have a conversation with Him about what was going on and what I was stressed out about. I sat up there for about an hour. What was I stressed about? I take myself entirely too seriously for starters. I love what I do but I think about it constantly. I am in the unique and incredible position of Consulting and Coaching a place through some team development and leadership development applications. A little like Human Resources mixed with team building dynamics, done through things like personality assessments, talent indicators and time spent with people in the organization. It is such a unique experience and to do it in Paradise...is a nice plus.

So at the end of my time on top of the Mount, the conclusion was stop taking yourself so seriously, remember that the Sun will rise and set tomorrow without you doing one thing, and chill out a bit. I was able to do that as I headed down the Mount. Not quite sure how to really let go and trust that I don't have to have all the answers in this job. In my experience I cannot do it all and what I know about God through my life is He cares deeply about people and uses me at times, but people's growth is not dependent on me. So I trudged down the Mount not sure what end was up but felt a little different, a little more hopeful than when I began.

I decided to walk home a different way and passed this little coffee shop on my way. Someone called my name and as I turned around I saw a friend. He is from the states and has been dating a Kiwi (I met them through Beks and Greg) They have been all over but currently they are living here while he coaches Rugby (as an American...that is a tricky thing in Rugby Country) As I sat and chatted with him, we talked about coaching and how similar our jobs are. And as he talked it was as if he was putting into words what I was in conversation with God about on top of the Mount. Funny how life works....I felt so much more sorted out in my head and actually knew what direction to head with my job.

I headed home with renewed vigor and received a phone call from my supervisor and mentor Janice from the States that encouraged and challenged me minutes later. I hung up the phone and continued my walk home and thought:

DANA, PERSPECTIVE PLEASE!!!

Yes you were stressed, but you jogged along the beach as you were destressing. Yes you didn't know what to do, but you walked up a Mount with a breathtaking view. And Yes you were unclear what to do in your job, but you live in PARADISE!!! Get over yourself and gain a little perspective. I could be sitting with this same stress in LA traffic or I can be sitting in a beautiful beach house overlooking the beach where my soul seems to come alive. Ummm....I think I have it good.

The stress subsided and the work continued and I grew in my professional skills and I think this week I grew in my listening skills and people skills, as well. Isn't that what life is about: not staying the same? Remembering that there is so much more to us than meets the eye? Acknowledging that you don't have all life's answers? And in the midst of that you seem to grow a deeper compassion for humanity.

Much like the walk up the Mount I wanted to quit this week. It seemed so hard and overwhelming. But now the week is over I am so glad I didn't because like the view from the top, I was privy to see incredible insights into the organization I was working with and even forward think seeing how influential they are going to be. Not to mention all the growth I saw in myself. Just like the moment my running shoe hits the top of the Mount and my eyes overlook the Beach, I was so thankful I didn't give up. How sad to have gone all that way and quit right before you see the beauty.

A long run, a confused mind, a beach in paradise, a conversation with God, and a Rugby Coach....Funny but I kind of wish everyone had a Rugby Coach that could sort them out like my friend did with me.

1 comment:

Jose L. Arroyo said...

Hi Dana!
Thanks for your comments on my site. I hope all is well with you. Your site is one that I check every day for updates ;-)