Friday, February 15, 2008

Lessons on Cricket

I didn't receive lessons from a cricket....but last night I learned my fair share of how to play--or watch the sport Cricket.

Michelle and Jared came over last night to have dinner and watch a movie after a long week of work. But I actually ended up learning a lot of new things. Let me share some of the things I Iearned:

*I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PICK ALCOHOL WHEN HAVING PEOPLE OVER FOR DINNER (I guess that isn't a new thing I learned it was just reinforced)--Jared told me exactly which beer he wanted--so I didn't get the wrong one:) So that wasn't too hard. But Michelle just said red wine--so after sitting in the wine section wondering how to actually pick one when you don't drink wine, I asked the friendly grocery store worker in the section which was good. He was no help he didn't drink wine either. So I text Jared and asked him. He gave me a broad answer. So I opted for the next best thing...which one looked the cutest? And guess what Michelle said it was very good. I kind of like my system.

*YOU DON'T PUT RED WINE IN THE FRIDE--Who knew? Not me. I was so proud to have it all 'chilled' for Michelle. Oh well she still liked it.

*CRICKET IS THE LONGEST SPORT THAT EVER EXISTED--We watched a lot of Cricket and we really didn't see that much in the whole scheme of the game. It last for a whole Day! And sometimes there are 5 Day Games!!! Yikes

*THERE ARE 50 OVERS (these are equivalent to innings in base ball) PER TEAM!!! And each "over" is 6 bowls (kind of like pitches in Base Ball) Are you starting to see why the game is so long?

*CRICKET FILLS GUYS "TANKS." Uncle Neville and Jared were like little boys in a candy shop as they watched a few hours of cricket--yes I said a few hours....(and it wasn't even close to being over)

*MICHELLE LIKES LOOKING AT PICTURES--since Cricket was on, me and Michelle wandered in another room and ended up looking at my pictures so she could see all of you back in the states:)

*BAKING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES IN NZ ISN'T QUITE THE SAME AS IN THE STATES. I LOVE baking, but for some reason my cookies didn't look like they do at home. It couldn't have been just me, so we will blame it on being in a new country. Though they said they tasted good--maybe they just didn't look good but tasted the same??

*CRICKET HAS A LOT OF RULES AND IS VERY LONG---I know I said that earlier, but seriously it is long. It actually was kind of fun to watch, but I love any sports, for the most part. It just takes a long time that is for sure.

*NEW ZEALAND NAMES EVERY NATIONAL SPORTS TEAM "ALL BLACKS"--Okay well not every team, but each team has some variation of that. They have a Country Color for their sport teams---BLACK--which is not a color on their flag. (Do we have that in the states?) So last night I saw the NZ Cricket team and had to ask: Is the Cricket Team called the "All Blacks" too (the name of the national Rugby team)? Because it looked like the Rugby All Black uniforms. They aren't they are called the Black Caps. So much different:)

*JARED ISN'T THE BEST "PICKER" OF A MOVIE--he might have to redeem himself after the movie we watched. The Fountain--don't highly recommend it. So if you ever sitting at the movie store or on Netflix wondering if you should get, just don't do it. I will give Jared another chance though :)

*HANGING OUT WITH FUN FRIENDS MAKES ME SMILE--even watching hours of Cricket

*And last but not least: NZ COMMERCIALS ARE VERY WITTY (FYI--Togs are swimsuits)



I actually had seen this earlier, but thought it was a great excuse to show you something that makes me laugh here. Why does it make me laugh, other than it is really funny? I encountered this scene in real life my first week in NZ. So my friends here couldn't wait to show me this commercial. I thought I would now share it with you!

Have a great day!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so the Tog commercial was hilarious! I think that "togs" should not be worn at any time, whether in or out of the water, but that is just my opinion. Also, I totally agree with your critique of The Fountain. All I could say was "what the heck!" when it was over, yeah we suffered through the whole thing. Maybe it was going to redeem itself, but no, it was horrible all the way through. Definite waste of too many hours. It was great talking with you live for a few minutes. I hope your meeting went well. Did you have to yield the "Velvet Sword?" Love you!
Stacie

Erica said...

I am so tired tonight and my kids were particularly hard to put to bed tonight making me a grumpy mommy. I feel better after togs. It's funny how just a little laugh can lift the spirit. Uhhh, turned The Fountain off. Too weird for me. Better luck next time Jared.

Alyssa said...

It is so good that you explained that togs are a swim suit otherwise I would have been really confused! Also I love picking a wine with a cute label, you are not alone!

Jennifer said...

Dana, i am still so impressed with all that you are doing right now. thank you for sharing it all with us...the new experiences, the struggles, the joys. thank you.