Sunday, August 17, 2008

1st Time in 15 years....

So picture this. I am standing in a park in the middle of Suva (one of the cities here) and I think this guy knows my Fijian friend, so instead of being rude I start chatting with the guy. We talk about CA and he tells me who he works for--the tourist council (this will come into play later). Then he shows me these little touristy things--which by the way I HATE touristy knick knacks. The next thing I know he has pulled me away to a picnic table and is carving my name in the wood!! Yikes!!! I had just been had! Because not 2 seconds later he says, 'this is how I make my bread and butter (and yes he did use that phrase) what will you give me?"

Gutted is not even close to the right word to describe how MAD I am at this point. I am fuming at the experience. I ended up giving him $20 becasue he can't sell it--or more accurately trick anyone else with it because now my name is on it!

Sam, Tevita and I walk away and I am FUMING!! I am so mad I can't even speak. I have been going to countries whree they trick the tourist/white person for 15 years and this was the first moment I missed it!!! Plus Luke and Sam have been relentlessly making fun of me and teasing me so I just didn't want to hear it and give them more fuel for the fire. I finally threw it away I was so mad--do you think I need closure?

The story doesn't end there, though...of course not, because my life really is a movie or a book! The next day Luke, Sam, Tevita and I are waiting in the police station trying to sort out Tevita's visa (Luke has been helping him get a visa to NZ...after much drama he finally got it, but that is another story). As we are quietly waiting, and I was just sitting there because I am just along for the ride with all that Luke is doing, and all of a sudden there are 3 policeman surrounding me asking me questions....about the above guy. Then what seemed to be the head guy says I will be right back. What the heck is all I can think...only in my life! 5 minutes later the president of the tourist council (see I told you that would come into play later) is brought into the police station. The policemen ask me to explain what happened. I re-explain that he was tricky and dishonest to that man. He apologizes and says he will get my money back afte rasking, "where is the stuff he sold you." 'Um...I threw it away...' I felt kind of dumb at that point but I just went with it.

Five minutes later the above man walks in...I feel SO awkward at this point and Sam and Luke are pretending like they don't know me. But I decide I better just roll with it and play it out...a good story is all i can think. The policemen make me tell him what I told them. He says he didn't trick me and I reminded him of what happened. He then has to go into the head guys's office. I am dying at this point...feeling bad that there is this much drama all of a sudden. Luke and Sam are still pretending they don't know me, just to give you an idea of the dynamics. The head guy calls me into his office with the guy and makes me retell the story again. I told him it wasn't right what he did. He was pleasant to talk to and some tourist might buy his stuff he should not be dishonest. He apologized and gave me my $20 back.

I found out later that he has had lots of complaints and they have been trying to catch him...so I was in the right place at the right time...or for his sake I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Oh the stories I have are mind boggling to me...

I do have to add one last thing in this blog: YAY for Michael Phelps!!!! Luke and Sam were very bratty Kiwi's about the world records he was setting, but I still loved every minute of the history being made...and I wll never watch another Olympics again without remembering Fiji and Luke and Sam and their Tall Poppy bad attitudes. I feel like Phelps help me win the argument about NZ vs USA all week...thanks Michael!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is the craziest story...I am cracking up a bit though. Way to take a bite out of crime! And, awesome that you got your money back!