Sunday, August 24, 2008

Irony

One of the things I am going to miss the most in New Zealand is wine....the irony of that statement: I don't even like wine. But what I do like is the Wine Culture of NZ. Today I went to a YUMMY winery with Ali and Lisa for lunch and then did a little wine tasting after. I really don't like wine at all (but I did try this Port that was super good!) but I love the whole experience of wine tasting.

I was pondering on the way home, why I love this part of NZ so much and why I am going to miss it. I think it is the relationships that surround it. It is built into this culture and one of the beautiful memories that I cherish. It is something that is so much more than drinking a glass of wine, but it is an experience with others. One of my most favorite things is to experience the joy and drama of life--of which I have plenty of both! This last week I was reminded just how much I love to experience life. Whether it is good (joy) or bad (drama) I just love the experience of life. Joy and drama means you are alive.

And when you add irony to the mix, it just amps up both joy and drama. There was one point this week that I was sitting with friends and looked around and laughed to myself at how much drama had unfolded over the last 9 months and now I was sitting in a room with 3 of the most unlikely people. None of them knew just how ironic it was, but I did. And the part of the "movie" playing out in my head made me smile. I like when things come full circle and you begin to see some of the why's behind situations. The most ironic part of the whole experience was that I was in the room I think and that I wasn't overly sad, happy or mad...it just was what it was.

Irony is a funny thing. It means that you find yourself in a situation that is not that out of the ordinary but has one or two dynamics that make it just not what you thought it would be. Most of the time you can laugh at it but sometimes it makes you want to cry. I have had my fair share of those "crying" ironic moments, but this one this week just made me shake my head at what a funny life I get to lead. I do so LOVE the experience of joy and drama in my life.

So much like the irony of me loving the wine culture and it being something I am genuinely going to miss here, but not liking wine at all, I also have to laugh at the irony of how some of the things in my life have turned out here in NZ. Even though some relationships went a little different than I planned and some just never went any where I planned the irony of how they have all shaken out means that I am alive and have TONS of good stories! And when I say 'tons' I mean TONS!!! Wow is all I can say...

1 comment:

Kerri said...

it was so great to talk with you friday. i love hearing your stories :) the countdown is on...can't wait to see you!