Friday, January 9, 2009

Fun in the Industry

I have NEVER worked in an office job and said the things I said today...

"I feel SO energized!"
"That was SO MUCH Fun!" (said after leaving work at midnight last night and said once again after coming in at 7AM the next morning because of a HUGE fiasco with the Awards Show I am helping with for the Art Directors Guild)
"I feel like I was created to do this"
"What they stock the fridge!?!"
"YES FOR SURE!" (Said after my friend told me there was a guy here to wash our cars, and would I like mine washed?"
"It was so fun calculating number and diffusing angry men." (said once the Fiasco that was full blown was completely resolved)
"I had a GREAT first week!!" (with no more than 5 hours of sleep a night...less than 4 last night. I do have to say that wasn't all the Guild...some of the 5 hours are due to having my incredibly cute boyfriend to hang out with each night....:)

What a great first week in the Industry and at the Art Directors Guild. Amy (my friend who I work for) always told me that a lot of my strengths in work and people settings would lend themselves to really enjoy Production. And today when I told her how much fun I had she reminded me that this was "Production Like Energy" and she knew I would love it.

Plus I can rember loving playing "office" when I was little, yet I always seemed to die in office settings. Maybe, just maybe I was in an office just not doing the right jobs. Funny how sometimes you can be so close as to what you are gifted at and doing something that gives you life, yet a small adjustment can make the HUGEST difference. I haven't been drained leaving work and have even left with energy and a feeling of satisfaction. What we did when we were kids is often times so much more accurate than any personality or career test...you just have to be willing to test the theory, take jobs that you don't think are you, and experiment. But once you taste feeling like you were "created to do something" you will stop at nothing to get that feeling back.

Who knew the Entertainment Industry would be a place I would fine some energizing work and fullfilment. I mean, I know my life could be a TV show how crazy it is sometimes. And ironically a guy last night at our Awards Show meeting said, you could be your own TV show because I was introduced as "Dana the new Rachel (the girl who did this job last year. I smiled to myself and thought...if you only knew...

1 comment:

Annie said...

I LOVE that your blogs are so few and far between now, you must be busy with much more important things:)..... Enjoy your kiwi time!