Friday, November 2, 2007

The Beethoven Soundtrack to My Life

I have a new trick for getting through LA traffic: Classical Music! While I was in Redding last month I stayed with one of my best friends, Danielle. We ran errands all afternoon--which by the way was mindblowing to this LA girl. We did 6 errands in under 2 hours! Oh how I miss those days!!!

I kind of giggled to myself that each time we got in the car she had classical music playing. I finally teased her about it out loud, asking her if this was her new love. She laughed and said yes it was because it was her way to destress after being with two children all day. And of course, anything to do with destressing intrigued me. Then I realized something...my friend Danielle is a wonderful ballet dancer and as I listened to her talk about her love for classical music in the car I guessed why she liked it so much. I asked her with a hint of laughter, "do you choreograph dances in your head as you listen?" And she smiled and said, "yes I do." We had a good laugh about that, but it didn't end there for me.

I got back to LA and thought, maybe it will work for me too. I went to iTunes and downloaded a Beethoven CD, and thought I would test this new DESTRESS theory out. Will classical music really destress me in traffic? You will be happy to know it worked. I sat on the 101 twice this last week in bumper to bumper traffic and never once got angry...that is no small miracle. And then I sat on the 5 numerous times in rush hour (not so much rushing) and didn't feel stressed or angry. YAY for Beethoven!!! And then I realized I might not choreograph dances in my head to the music but I do something else: make up the soundtrack to my life!

Yep, I not only see my life as a book, I now have upgraded to seeing my life as a movie. I litterally caught myself mid thought and laughed out loud. As I listened to Beethoven this week, I smiled thinking, this would be great as background music to my experience of working on this particular project while living in LA. And this song would be great in the scene of me having an intense talk with a co-worker.

I guess Hollywood got to me...I think I am the star of my own show. Oh, living in LA is funny thing. The influences go so far beyond what I think. But at the end of the day I am so thankful for my LA life. And that statement is no small miralce either! LA has been a whirlwind of emotion for me. Some days I LOVE it and other days I long to not be in my car strategizing on how to run 2 errands---6 in one day is a pipe dream in LA!

For now this is all I know, Classical Music makes me calm, therefore it is on constantly in my car here in LA. Who knew Beethoven would be affecting me in LA years after he created his masterpieces? Do you think he would care that it's greates effect on me is that helps me get through traffic? Who knows....all I know is I am glad he created his music! And I bet the other LA drivers are glad I listen to it as well:)

No comments: