Wednesday, November 7, 2007

New Friends, New Moments, New Adventures...NEW ZEALAND

So much NEW in my life. I have such a need for new and different, yet I struggle my way through change and transition. This weekend I packed up a lot of my apartment to store at my parents while I am in New Zealand. Then I had the chance to hang out with Deby and Grant, the couple that is not only bringing me out to NZ, but who are also becoming good friends.



Yikes it is real! I was on my way to see Deby and Grant Sunday morning and realized I was really really nervous. I am not afraid of the trip to NZ, but I realized that morning for me I am taking some huge personal risks. It is not just a 3 month trip to NZ, it is a facing my fear. Not that NZ is the fear. In the past I have been really hurt in a similar situaion. Whether it was my persective that hurt me or it was an actual hurt done to me is sort of irrelevant. I still have a memory of pain, so though I have worked through that expereince it is interesting how my mind and heart have relational memory. Muscles have muscle memory, I think our minds and emotions have memory in the same way. When I am in a similar situation it is as if I immediately remember the hurt and want to repsond to protect myself. The only down side to that is I am not in the same situation. And I might miss out on new relationships that are amazing and new experiences that change my life forever. "This isn't that" is what I have to remind myself. But sometimes to replace the relational memory you have to face it to realize 'this isn't that.' So why it looks as if I am just hanging out with two VERY cool people, who I laugh A LOT with, really I am jumping off a cliff.


It reminds me a lot of Bungee jumping. I was able to bungee jump off the World Record Bungee Jump in South Africa. It was SO COOL.


(not me but I jumped off this same bridge and looked just like this guy)

It was so fun and I knew I would love it, but in order to get the adrenaline rush and have the fun, I actually had to jump off the bridge into mid air. Once I did it I never regretted it, but in the leading up to it I had to work through the fear and the desire to stay in control of my life...if I am in control nothing bad happens, right? Yeah that isn't as true as I would like it to be. If I controlled the bungee jump many many bad things would happen: I don't know what I am doing so I am sure that the bungee part of the whole experience (the part where you actually don't just plumet to your death) wouldn't work, I might not have jumped, I wouldn't know how to pull myself up and would have been left dangling under the bridge forever.

Facing hard situations are much like that. I had no idea if the Bungee was going to work and I didn't know the guy that pushed me off the bridge and that brought me back up. I just had to trust and see what happens. Trust is a weird thing. To trust means that there is a level of vulnerability or you wouldn't have to trust. Sometimes in life I don't get to control things...who am I kidding, most times in life I don't control things. But the truth remains the same: just because I control life doesn't mean that I won't get hurt. Control is an illusion. Life has so many factors, from our own past to the decision of other people and circumstances that are out of everyone's control.

I am going to get hurt in life. That is a fact, but if I spend my whole life trying not to get hurt: aka 'controlling my life,' I might miss so much fun stuff. So even though I left on Sunday morning nervous by Monday night, after a few hours of spending time with them I was so energized and excited, not only to do life with these people for a few months, but because I faced a fear. For me trusting is a spiritual experience. I walk through life with Jesus Christ and trusting in an invisible God That is a trust expereince in and of itself. But because of my trust in Jesus and God I am able to believe that somone is with me as I walk through life. Being saved from hurt is impossible, but having God walk next to me is what helps me do things like Bungee Jump to New Zealand.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Holy smokes! that's right! you're leaving for 3 stinking months! (that was a lot of !!)
please post often so we can live through you...i would never bungee jump...and at this point in my life...i could never leave for 3 months. enjoy this adventure.