Sunday, March 30, 2008

DDay

So today was the day!!!
The GOAL: run up the Mount from the bottom to the top by the end of March



Goal ACCOMPLISHED!!
17 mins--setting the current DWR (Dana World Record--The OLYMPICS is coming this year, just getting you ready. And since I have never ran this there is no current World Record for me so I just set it!)
10 mins down (fastest time since I have lived here)

There is something about picturing the thing you want to conquer in your head and then seeing it realized. There really is no better feeling for me. My work out life often parallel's my real life. Mostly, doing things like this helps me to get through hard emotional/relational situations. Once you accomplish a hard thing you realize that you can do more than you thought. I think in the end that is why I do things like this. I get so scared and nervous to have hard conversations, challenge people in their way of doing life, consult on the development of an organization, have conversations about people's spiritual growth, talk to guys...you name it I get scared of something or another. In all those situations I am not the only one involved, so in order to be confident no matter what happens I need to conquer a few scary things to show myself I can do hard and scary things. But I need to do it in a controlled way, hence workout goals. Even though I get scared that I might not be able to conquer my workout goal I am the only one that would stop myself. So when I push through it I see, "oh my gosh I can do scary and hard things and I won't die." Which then gives me confidence as I step into all those other scary areas where I don't have control. Plus I always think, "I never regret the workout once I get home..."

If you wonder what is in my head on a run like this let me share:
(truth is just adjust the language a little bit and you can see similar thoughts in any situation that I encounter)

Middle of the night: wake up secretly (or not so secret now) excited that I am going to conquer a goal
Closer to morning: wake up secretly scared that I won't be able to do it
5:40AM: YAY! Today's the day! I hope I can do this
6:10AM: I am so excited to be at the end of something, I can't wait to hit the beach and start running.
6:25AM: I can run forever and so fast because I know I am going to accomplish something. Man I love running by the beach...
6:50AM: Finished with the run now I get to tackle the Mount
7:01AM: Turn on my "up the mount" song and I get to tackle this thing
7:06AM: Man this is hard I hope I can do this
7:11AM: These stupid stairs go on forever maybe I can't do this, my legs are burning
7:12AM: I can do this I have done all these parts before, suck it up Dana Michelle and get to the top you will feel so proud
7:15AM: The home stretch, if I can only get past these last stairs I will have done it. I could just walk the rest of the way up since I know I can do it.
7:17AM: I DID IT! I can't believe it. All those mornings paid off. And now I get the best part...running down the Mount with great satisfaction and I get to listen to my favorite podcast on the way home--This American Life (a chicago radio station) because really in the end we all need something to LOOK FORWARD TO AS A PRIZE. It really does help.

And there you have it! A silly made up goal accomplished!!!
Happy Goal Conquering Today!

3 comments:

Erica said...

Wow this blog went up right in front of my face. I am so proud of you for making it up the mount. I like to run as well. I wish I could run outside but I usually run at the club because it has babysitting.

Rebecca said...

hey what a beautiful mountain to accomplish your goal on. Mauao is such a special place to set foot on. So glad it can be a milestone in your experiences here in "aotearoa".(NZ)

Alyssa said...

Good for you, I love when you can accomplish something like that, you should be proud!