Thursday, March 20, 2008

Reality Clothes




Do you see my hoodie?
(that is the country of New Zealand within the two hands...)
Do you see my face?
(I have to tell you something...)
Do you wanna know what the hoddie says on it under the picture?

"I CALL NEW ZEALAND HOME"

(hence the Blog title of Reality Clothes)

It's official I am staying longer in New Zealand!!! And no I am not getting married, dating anyone, or even close to that. I am sure from a lot of my blogs you can tell what a great time I am having, but it goes so far beyond that. There have been so many moments here I have just felt like I have come home. Anytime you go to a new culture there is always a moment where you know you have either been accepted or you realize you are still an outsider. Last week I was leaving a coffee with someone, and I as I walked away I knew it had happened--I had been accepted in this culture. I don't know when it completely happened, nor do I know how it completely happened--I just know this, it happened. Today it is Good Friday (the whole country gets this day off work--and MONDAY for Easter, too--Kiwi's love their holidays) and we sat around eating hot cross buns (yes they really have them it is not just a song we all learned on our recorders) While enjoying our yummy brunch someone was making fun of Americans and then looked at me and said I can only say that because you aren't American to us you are Kiwi. While that isn't entirely true, it was a huge compliment and to me shows that something beyond myself is happening here. 8 weeks is just not long enough to connect to a culture, especially Kiwi culture.

The job that I am doing here is incredible, and I feel so fortunate to be able to being doing things I love and be challenged in my own leadership. But beyond that this culture just seems to be one in which I am thriving. I have definitely had some moments of complete terror when I realize what I am doing...staying in a brand new country, with brand new friends, and living in a brand new culture. But let's be honest...that mostly has to do with the fact that I feel like I lost control:) Once I can calm down I am excited and humbled that this is the life I am living for right now.

So for now I am legally able to stay in New Zealand for 6 more months. I definitely didn't expect to be living in New Zealand this year, so with open hands I continue to walk into the unknown with excitement and hope for things to come.

Happy Easter!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your decision. You will be missed.

I understand the uncertainty of stepping into the unknown -- it's kinda scary, yet exciting at the same time. The one thing that is certain -- when it feels right, we have to go with that.

Love, Daryl

Mother of Pearl said...

My lovely Dana..I will miss you but this is not a surprise to me and I wish nothing but joy, happiness and satisfaction. There is always room here for you and NZ.
Love ya,
Lori

Erica said...

Dana I am excited for you. What an awesome experience you are getting. Happy Easter to you too.

Annie said...

Yay Dana you're living the dream! I finally found your blog and enjoyed catching up on your life over the last several weeks. Your smile says it all in your pictures, you're right where God wants you. It's a great place to be. I look forward to reading your future ventures in NZ!

Unknown said...

you still have a key to our place if you wanna come hide, hang out, hug it out, all of the above,

yes it is very scary new culture and all that but its sweet as we just cruise

your all good chick

Alyssa said...

Amazing, I love the excitement in your words and pictures, can't wait to continue to hear all about your adventures!

Adrian Del Monte said...

let's tell the truth here dana..

you met a kiwi stallion who swept you off your feet, didn't you? that's okay, dana. really.

just make sure you get new zealand citizenship out of the deal.

adrian

Jennifer said...

you sound so sure and happy! congratulations!