Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Trip Of A Lifetime...(Part 4)

(and we're off for the day!)


Texas was long, I admit that, but we did one of the coolest things here today...went to the NASA Space Center!

(Trying a real Space Helmet!)


(Sam landing a Space Shuttle)

I am embarrassed to say that Sam knew more about Space Program in America than I did. I constantly was asking him questions through the whole day! Really though? Did you know we don't go to the moon any more and just go to the Space Station? Did you know that we are going back to the moon in 2020 and to Mars in 2030? In new spaceships? And that the Space Station has 3 people on it, One America, One Japanese (their first ever) and One Russian? I didn't.

It was like Disneyland for guys I think, but I was super impressed the whole time! We saw the first space shuttles, where they do all the simulations and trainings, saw the new space ship that will carry people to the moon and Mars! It was such a cool experience. I even cried when I heard a recording of one of the flight directors (the guy in Houston directing the Space Shuttles--Gene Hackman's character in Apollo 13) say, "Welcome home, we are glad you here." I'm not gonna lie, I was SO proud to be an American!



(In the observation deck of the training center)


(One of the first rockets in space)


(Me trying to take a cute picture in front of the HUGE engines...Sam being silly)

The whole time I was there I thought that my nephew Tyler and my little buddy Jacob would have LOVED It! I had to get them cool post cards from there for sure!!! The other reason I loved it...their motto...

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION

That could be my life quote!!! I LOVED that line in Apollo 13...which I wanted to watch SO BAD when we left there. And get this? It was on TV when we finally stopped for the night!!! I am so not even joking!! I was so excited, I might have squealed :) I was SO excited to see all that I just saw on TV!!!

We also made it through a new state line! I never thought I would be so happy to see Louisiana!!!



We are off to New Orleans tomorrow and I am really looking forward to that! Then on to Jacksonville! Our friend Kimi double checked for us tonight...only 7 & 1/2 hours from New Orleans to Jacksonville! I can't believe how close we are!!!

Until tomorrow!

No comments: