Sunday, June 22, 2008

Butterflies in the Storm

This weekend I saw the worst storm I have seen in NZ. It was like a really bad Redding Storm where the rain comes hard, fast and sideways. On Sunday morning I was getting ready to leave and Uncle Neville was looking at my flowers saying something about it's wings drying. I had no idea what he was talking about; I was too busy thinking man I wish I could stay home and watch movies all day long. Then I saw this:



I looked a little closer and realized its legs were moving. I quickly asked, "Is that real?" (and I am not going to lie, at first it kind of creeped me out a bit to see it sitting there...you know me and animals of any sort--they just kind of give me the creeps) I think I figured it was just an added adornment that I forgot about it. How could I forget that? But it seemed to perfect to be real. But it was real Uncle Neville explained that he saw it outside in the storm and brought it in to dry its wings off. And there it sat on my flowers, speaking something beyond words to me.

Every time I see a butterfly it reminds me of God. It reminds me that He loves me. It reminds me that He cares. Funny that this week in the most impossible place ever I saw that reminder. There should be NO butterflies out in this awful storm. Yet there one sat outside waiting to come in doors. And there on the beautiful flowers sat this perfect Monarch Butterfly. I smiled to myself thinking, how much my life is like this at times. There is a storm raging outside yet if I will actually pay attention the impossible is happening right in front of me.

I also did laugh a little bit at myself, as one does when one is feeling sorry for herself then sees something so out of the ordinary. I so badly wanted to just have a pity party for myself this week, yet in the midst of my own personal storm that was raging inside of me a butterfly came in out of no where.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You didn't tell me about the butterfly!! that's so cool Dana, love you friend :)

Mother of Pearl said...

Butterflies are the ultimate symbol or change..metamorphisis...It is time to accept the change God has in mind for you my dear friend.

Fleck, the Mrs. said...

We had a CRAZY thunder and lightening storm last Saturday. The loudest thunder I've ever heard, no lie. And because it's Nor Cal where it's hot and dry, the lightening started 100's of fires. Now we live in a smoke bowl. It pretty much sucks...