Sunday, June 1, 2008

Mom's are Magnificent, but MY MOM is a MASTER of loving people

One of my most favorite things about my mom is that she ALWAS loves the people I love. My friends from college have all experienced that far stretching love. And now my friends in NZ are experiencing it. My most early vivid memory of my Mom is on a field trip in kindergarten. I was seeing my first live show on stage: Annie. She was the room mom--which me and my brother fought over who got her as room mom...this was my year, and only fair because it was my first year of school. She was sitting next to me with another little girl on her other side. The other little girl was all cuddly with my mom and I got a little bratty. My mom calmly touched my leg and in a sweet voice said, "dana you have a mommy that loves you and is always home with you. You will share and we will love Cindy who doesn't have a mommy at home." Hmmm, she in 15 seconds taught me that life is not all about me and we will live giving love away to others. Cindy's mom wasn't around, I can't remember why, but I do remember that we were a family where love was not hoarded but freely given away. Well that was 26 years ago and she is still modeling that to this day.

She sent me yet another package! (I forgot one sweater I wanted and then "needed" some fun make up from Mac). This huge box arrived and it was full of not just stuff for me but for my friends here! She sent more butterfingers for Ingrid--which was perfect because it was Ingrid's baby shower on Sunday and I received the package on Saturday, so I was able to put in those fun candies as a fun surprise! She sent more almonds and Baby Ruth's for Jared. Make up for Michelle and these cool little soaps from Pier 1. And super fun soaps in the shape of Ice Cream for Beks. Plus fun american candy for Ruby, lotion for Ali, a cute shirt that I gave to Georgia (the picture below...and that is my new jacket! The shirt says "save the planet, it is the only one with shopping malls" which is perfect since Georgia is my little shopping buddy.)



(here is one of Georgia and her brother Mackensie...he blows me kisses every week at church...oh how I love the 7 year old boys that adore me...He makes me miss ZANE all the time!!!)


I have such admiration for Mom's but I LOVE mine! She has taught me so much about loving people, making people feel valuable and giving her kids a safe place to always come home to.

THANK YOU MOM!!!! YOU ARE AMAZING AND I AM SO LUCKY TO HAVE YOU AS A MOM!!!!!!

6 comments:

Annie said...

LOVE the jacket! And I love that your masquerade ball reminded you of our wedding so many long years ago:). All I remember from my reception was dancing the entire time and maybe saying hello to one guest, I was a terrible hostess but I had so much fun!
How cool is it that you got to go to a ball? How many girls can say that in this day and age? It seems that you seize each and every day by the horns and squeeze every last bit of fun and discovery out of it Dana. I'm so impressed by how you live your days, full of loving on people, wrestling with issues and growing pains, it sounds fantastic. Have you had a dull day yet in NZ? Is there anything for Trav and I to do down there? We are on the lookout for where God might have us next!

Annie said...

LOVE the jacket! And I love that your masquerade ball reminded you of our wedding so many long years ago:). All I remember from my reception was dancing the entire time and maybe saying hello to one guest, I was a terrible hostess but I had so much fun!
How cool is it that you got to go to a ball? How many girls can say that in this day and age? It seems that you seize each and every day by the horns and squeeze every last bit of fun and discovery out of it Dana. I'm so impressed by how you live your days, full of loving on people, wrestling with issues and growing pains, it sounds fantastic. Have you had a dull day yet in NZ? Is there anything for Trav and I to do down there? We are on the lookout for where God might have us next!

Alyssa said...

My comment is the same as Annie's, love the jacket, it is so cute!
Is there anything better than receiving a package from family when you are away! I love it when we get stuff in the mail, it is always for the kids, but I still get joy out of it from their excitement!

trisha loves to paint said...

i need your email address!

SeaJay said...

OH I miss your mom! She is amazing! I hope I teach my kids to love as well as your mom has taught you! Love you
sea

Shannon said...

your mama needs to send you Benefit....it's like getting a little bit of Shanny :-)