Sunday, July 27, 2008

Umm...Yeah...I can knit now...I know your jealous


So me and Mich have wanted to learn to knit for the last few months. And on Saturday night our friend Rachel taught us! It was so fun!!! The weather Bomb was hitting outside, Rugby was on, the fire was going and yummy food was all around, and KNITTING NEEDLES CAME OUT!!!

I have never even tried to knit before Saturday night...and I have to say my first attempt wasn't the best. I actually hated it! It was so frustrating and I forgot how much I hate doing something I don't know how to do and am not perfect at the first time--which I know is not realistic but is so true. I finally had enough and in my frustration said, "I hate knitting." And mich who thinks she knows me so well says...you just don't like it because you aren't perfect at it. WHATEVER! Okay so maybe she knows me. She was right....but still it didn't seem relaxing to me at all. I finally gave up and just watched the All Blacks play, or at least try to play--not a very good show by the All Blacks last night!

But then today the knitting fairy (aka Auntie Ali) stopped by. I sat down in the living room to do something and noticed that the knitting grew a bit and it looked like the beginning of a scarf. So I thought I would try one more time. I LOVED it! It was so much more fun today! I felt so grown up and could picture me making my grandkids sit down and learn to knit from me one day. Okay...so I am a tad bit dramatic and a maybe even a bit optimistic seeing that my little project doesn't really look like a scarf, but a girl can dream, right?

This is my new winter sport...if only it burned calories like running. Maybe I can wear weights or something???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ay, Ay Ay! first praise for the movie The Holiday, then taking lessons from Hannah Montana, and now, knitting? Is this what NZ has done to you? ;-)

Mother of Pearl said...

Bravo..now we can sit and chat over knitting when you get home.
XX
L

Kerri said...

I totally want to learn how to knit. Will you teach me so that we can sit in our rocking chairs and knit together!?! I am serious though, I do want to learn...it would be fun to make stuff. I miss you and am so excited to see you in Sept. I put the date on my calendar yesterday and told Jacob that you were coming to see us. He is very interested in NZ...today we had a talk about how it is winter there and he thought that was really interresting. Love you friend!

Erica said...

I love knitting. Very relaxing when you get in the rhythm. I actually started meditating on scripture when I knit. It was amazing. I had some great times with God.