Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Delayed Gratification


Lakey makes me laugh all the time...so I thought I would give you some life lessons from Lakey. But first let me tell you my favorite Lakey story of the moment....

I was waiting for Sam to call me one night while me and Lakey were hanging out together. I said to him where is my boyfriend Lakey? And he looked over at me and in his cute little Lakey voice he said, "I wight heewre dana." I laughed out loud and said, "Are you my boyfriend Lakey?" He looked at me with perplexed confusion, and says, "Wes I am!" Man he makes me smile....

Lake actually taught me something last night as he got ready for bed. Sea Jay is breaking the Binkie this week...torture for poor Lakey. The rule is only in bed. This kills Lake sometimes, but Sea always tell Lakey....you can have it at night when you go to bed. So he waits all day for his binkie. But he works really hard at waiting and knows he gets the reward in the end. He began begging me for his binkie last night and I had to tell him he could have it if he wanted to go to bed. He cried, but decided to hold out and wait for bed. It made me laugh that he knew that pitching a fit wasn't going to get him his binkie....he just had to make it until bed time and he can have his longed for binkie. He was finally ready for bed, so he jumped in my arms as I took him to his room, holding his binkies like they were gold. On the way up the stairs I was apparently taking too long and he said to me, 'Dana you bewter huwwry." I look over at his sweet face and he has the binkie by his mouth but not IN his mouth, and he gave me the cheekiest little grin and like all males...laughed really hard at himself because he saw me laugh at him. I had to laugh at myself as I realized he was being so patient, but had finally had his limit.

I finally got him to his bed and he got his binkies and was SO happy. As I kissed him goodnight and saw him in pure bliss with his little binkies, I thought to myself...how often do I get to enjoy delayed gratification? Not much these days. I forgot how good it is to save for something, or wait for something. I HATE waiting. I am actually pretty bad at....but to watch Lakey's face of pure delight after waiting all day for something, reminded me that there is something to patiently waiting.

Maybe Lakey can remind me of some pretty important lessons in this season as I wait for some pretty important things....funny how much you can learn from a 3 year old.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Hi Dana...
I have to tell you that I love reading your blog. And now I love that you're living in Redding, because it helps me keep up on Sea and Crew. Take Care Dana!
Molly