Saturday, October 25, 2008

New Job--Same Love

I realized once again I LOVE NEW and get scared of it. I need change and cry through it. I thrive in a challenge and hate it, wanting to quit. I absolutely love being in a new environment with tons of people to meet and wonder how long until you will be passed the beginning part of new friendships wishing you were already a few months into it with people. I love a new desk/cubicle because you get to decorate them and hate thinking of working at a desk...

I think that for me that sums up my life. I love and hate things all in one breath. I am constantly full of emotion and often times they are opposing emotions. That is life though. I wish that life was always just positive and fun. I am, at the core of my being an idealist. The reality is that life isn't always positive and fun. My mom is an amazing realist. She is able to see a situation and catch the logic and reality in seconds. I am not wired like that at all, but I need people like that in my life to help me. The world isn't perfect and life isn't always the way we hope it is in our idealistic mind....when I say "our" I mean mine :)

This week I started a new job and always seem to reflect a bit in those situations. I love NEW like I said and LOVE change, though it makes me cry and overwhelms me, but I still need it in my life. It makes me reflect because I watch just how excited I get to be in a new environment while at the same time I am full of what seem to be new ideas, new reflections, new loves in my life...but really is just a new job--same loves.

I went to work three days this week and was so reminded of the things I love in life and the reality that I need to work but I LOVE to work for someone that sees people as the worlds highest commodity and priority. I am working as a personal assistant for an IT director (aka smart computer guy) that does an unbelievable amount of jobs--half of which I don't even understand. But one of the things that helped me realize that this was going to be a good fit was what he said in our first meeting. "The computer needs to disappear so people can encounter people and God." You see, he works at a fairly large church and is currently working on a massive project to allow people to experience a live moment and encounter what is happening in a very tangible way. His heart is for people all over the world to experience God and be able to encounter God and allow them to have their own moments with God regardless of if they ever step foot in a church.

I can't say I quite get the process...well who am I kidding I don't get it at all. But this I know, I love working for people that view humanity as the most important thing in our world. He is brilliant at computers and, well quite frankly I don't even know what else to call it...that is how IT I am :) But to watch all the small components to see a live video pop on my computer is phenomenal and a little mind blowing just how much background and unseen stuff has to take place.

This form of media is important because our world is seeing life and humanity and world issues over a computer now. I don't get how it all works and I don't ever fully think I will, but I want to be in the center of world experiences. And I want to be able to connect with different parts of humanity and what they are struggling through. My boyfriend sent me this link to this documentary trailer...this is why I love technology and that there are brilliant people in this world that understand computers and the movie industry and have a heart for the world. Why? Because people like you and me can see things like this and remember how big our world is and see how we can be a part of changing the world...



http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/praythedevilbacktohell/

Go to the link...you won't be disappointed. This is the kind of stuff I want to be about in my life. As I work and live in Redding I feel like in a small way I am a part of things like this. I work for a place that loves people. I work for people that want humanity to know that there is a God that truly loves them. I work in an environment, that wants to alleviate human suffering. As I sit at my cute desk, in my newly decorated cubicle I can't help but to get excited about my new job, and about how much I love being part of the big picture of our world. One day I will be out writing for places that need a voice and people that need to be seen and remembered, but for now I will work on my skills and enjoy serving people that are making it possible to see things like live videos where people can encounter God and be challenged on their world view and their response to the suffering in our world...no matter where they are in the world. Funny who would have thought when I was 10 in my MATS class at school learning how to use these cool new things--brand new Apple computers with the funny green screens, that these would be the things that bring awareness to what our friends are going through in Africa, Asia, South America...


Here is my little spot that I get to change the world in one email at a time....




Here is what I get to look at as I type those emails all day long...

1 comment:

trisha loves to paint said...

do you work where I work now?