Friday, October 3, 2008

Spontaneous Planning

Is it spontaneity if you plan to be spontaneous? Me and Sea Jay decided YES. You see, we both love a plan and tonight we thought we were being so flexible and spontaneous....pretty much livin' life on the edge. We looked at each other feeling pretty proud when we decided that we were going to wait until dinner to make a plan for tomorrow, and maybe even wait until after dinner. And we were serious about how proud we were.

The scary part was that we really did think we were being crazy by leaving the hotel where we were staying without making a plan. We stopped, looked at each other and started to laugh when we realized what we had just done. The genuineness of our attempt to be spontaneous and flexible not needing a plan was so funny as I thought about what we had just done...planned to not make a plan--until later.

I have so many people in my life that live in the moment--I sometimes wish I can be like that, but really at the end of the day I am not. I used to tease Scott and Amy that when I got to their house and was getting out of my car the plan was to not have a plan with them...all subconscious, yet how I enjoyed the day so much more. It is funny because the only thing I don't feel like I plan is my planning....you see, the plans just come naturally and seem to bring me joy. I think it is the part of me that loves to dream...I dream within plans and then go beyond those plans. It is like my starting block if you will. So when I have a plan--as slight as it might be, I get to dream once the plan is made about what could happen, what might happen, what I can add to it, what I can invite other people into...

Plans are fun for me...they make me smile, they bring me comfort and they help me laugh. There are some moments, sure, that I freak out because the plans don't go as I hoped and I am really disappointed, but most of the time these days I can roll with the change of plans. In fact, the plan right now is to live in the moment...I know, ironic, but it is how I am not just enduring through this season of life but thoroughly enjoying it. It helps that my guy is one of the best "live in the moment" people I know...but secretly when I live in the moment I still have many different sets of plans ready to go depending on "how the moment goes." Hey it works for me....what can I say?

There is something to be said for spontaneous planning....for us today it made us feel pretty edgy and crazy, which then sent us into a fit of laughter. And, at the end of the day, life can't be bad--plan or no plan--when you are laughing.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Umm remember how many not so smart spontaneous planning shannon and I did??? Just remember the pixie hair cut. Anyway just wanted to say hi and that you look Killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother of Pearl said...

I plan to do a lot of things....then I change my plans and then I toss that plan and got to another idea...and as they say the best laid plans.......
Plan on seeing you soon.!!
Lori