Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cute White Car

As I drove past the beach today...yep I DROVE! I was reminded today that there are some moments in life that seem mundane and ordinary but actually are extraordinary. The beach has always been one of those places for me. It is just water and dirt at the end of the day, but there is something there that instantly makes me realizes that there is something greater at work than what I see. It isn't a conscious thought, but an instant shot of perspective. Living by the beach has made me realize how much I love seeing the ordinary things of life as extraordinary.

Today my good friend, Andy Kay brought me over a cute little white car. (this is Andy's family: Ruby, him, Jane and me at their house for dinner one night)




A couple here had a white Toyota that had a broken water pump, but said if I wanted to fix it I could use it while I was here. (they said it would be around $400 to fix) One night I was over for dinner at the Kay's and was telling them about it. Andy piped up asking 'where is the car cuz I can fix that?' I told him but didn't really think much else about it. I was in the midst of trying to take care of all the details necessary for staying longer in NZ, so I was too overwhelmed with stuff in America to think about it really. The next Sunday Andy's sweet daughter Ruby said that her dad had been working on my car all weekend. WHAT?! I didn't even know he went and got it. Apparently it ended up being quite a nightmare to fix. That night he was so excited to bring it to me, but as he was pulling out the water pump broke, yet again! So he spent today working on it again, and he showed up at 1:30 this afternoon  with a cute little white Toyota all fixed.



I have to get a Warrant...which I think is a mix between getting a smog check and registration. I will do that this week and then I am legal to drive. I have driven here a few times, but it will be nice having a car since it has been raining so much here.  It is really different driving on the left side of the road and the right side of the car, but I am getting used it...which is scary to think that it seems normal to me now. Though, I still have to say in my head "think left...think left...think left" all the time.

Sometimes ordinary things like fixing a car or someone going out of their way speak volumes. And for me the ordinary of a white little car was the extraordinary for me today. Without me doing anything I am able to have a car and feel so valued and loved. It is funny because when I first was offered the car, I felt the distance of my Dad...he would take care of it if I was home, but while my dad (nor mom) can EVER be replaced, it did feel good to have a 'dad' moment here. Dad's just take care of you, and you just know everything is going to be okay when they are around....and Andy represented that for me this week.

I genuinely hope that today in your life you will see something that is ordinary, as the extraordinary--reminding you that there is a God who is active and working when you can not see him, or even wonder if He really exists.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I loved this blog, I feel the same way about the beach!! How long are you in NZ? I think you need a Shanny Visit!