Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Netball in my Near Future

Netball....when I first heard this I thought it was what Kiwi's called basketball.  (my kiwi friends, please forgive my "live in a bubble" americanness)   One night when I was watching TV, which is permanently on  the Sports channel, I saw these women basketball players and thought--oh how cute! They wear skirts here in NZ.





Apparently I was really wrong.  Netball is a sport that is, as far as I can tell, a cross between basketball and ultimate frisbee.   And tonight I will be starting a Netball league with some friends here in NZ.  Oh man...I am not sure how I feel about this.  I said no twice, then my friend Mark convinced me it is just like basketball without the running.  (looking back not really sure how that convinced me because I am not great at basketball, but between him and LIz I was convinced)  You don't run, dribble, or shoot from anywhere on the court.  You can take one step once the ball is in your hands.  You can only shoot from inside the goal line (which is similar in size to the three point line) and like soccer, depending on your position you can only be on certain parts of the court.

We will see how this goes tonight...who knows...this just my be my sport and thing I am called to do with my life--hehehe--you get to wear a skirt, how cute is that?  Knowing that skirts are a part of the sport, it seems like their is potential for me do love it.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Now I would pay to watch you play netball! I never really understood the came myself!

Cheryl said...

I meant to say "game"