Saturday, April 5, 2008

Things I Miss Today...

Today is Sunday here in New Zealand.  I woke up remembering what Sunday's were like for me in LA and I smiled, thinking fondly of what a typical Sunday was like.  I had the chance to do what I love, by helping people have space to encounter God if they were looking for Him.  That was amazing.  I had incredible conversations that I could not believe I was privileged to have with people that were struggling or searching for who God was and if He was real.  That was humbling and exciting.  
But my favorite part about Sundays...getting to see these two cute kids!  

One of my favorite nights at the Reyonlds: Making Gingerbread House...look at how cute she is!

And can you really resist this cute boy?! 
 


I loved Sundays, because no matter how long or hard the day was I always ended up over at Scott and Amy's.  Their house was just safe--I wasn't leader dana, or problem solver dana, I was just dana.  And I always knew that even if the kids were already in bed I would be able to sneak and see them.  Zane and Audrey were always a bright spot in my day, no matter what type of day I was having.

So as much as I absolutely love being in NZ, and actually have a place where I am just dana with my some of my good friends here, I still MISS the Reynolds today.  Not "crying, please let me leave living by the beach in paradise" sad, but one of those good "sads."  A fond heart memory of the way things were, wishing I could mix my worlds a little bit. 

Just to reiterate I LOVE being here, but for those of you at home, or in Redding, Chicago, Riverside, or North Carolina, I do miss you and love that we have made so many memories over the years.  They are like reading a book for me--fun to picture and enjoy the experiences all over again.

5 comments:

Annie said...

I do the same thing thinking of my Riverside community. I long for that connection, familiarity, and rest that came with good friendships, but I'm moving more towards cherishing that time and being thankful for it than being in denial of what God is doing today. I love denial sometimes, it's a nice sad friend, but it's good to move forward too.

Jennifer said...

ugh, I have those sad days when i miss scott and amy so much that i have to force myself to not think about them. we rarely talk because it makes my heart hurt too much. i can only hope that one day we will all live near each other...

Mother of Pearl said...

I have those days when I start missing you. I am glad that you are having such a wonderful experience in NZ but sad you are not here to share my experiences....I could sure use some plain ole' Dana right now!!!
XXOO

Anonymous said...

oh we have those same sad days. I think of you all the time!!! Zane keeps asking me "when is Dana coming back?" When I tell him,
He say's "WHAT????? I'll be in second grade then!!!! That is TOO LONG"

I agree. Audrey is sitting next to me right now basking in Dana pictures. This is what she has to say right now....

(said in her small voice).

" I love you Dana, be sure to call me when you are on the phone. I'm sure you will be happy with me here at my house. It would be sweet for you to come to my house right now, I love you! and I would love for you to meet me at my house and meet my whole family. I love you Dana and I love you mama and I love aunt Jessica and Jesus and aunt Jen and Cash and hazel and maude and august and a kid that's named Elijah too and everybody in the whole world and I love you so much every day and it is going to be so welcomed to you... bye bye and that is all I am doing."

Anonymous said...

yoooooo whooooooo....Dana...
Daaayyyy-Nahhhhh..... California calling:
sending you love and support and lots of good cheer from northern California where we think of you with great delight as you write another chapter in the book of your life. It's us....the Stevenson family. we were introduced to your blog by your parents on Saturday (4/12/08) before the Ceres Police Off. Assoc Dinner. Keep up the good work and the 1,000 watt smiles!
All our love,
Carmen
PS The rum cake looks sooooo yummy, very appropriate for your blog title!
xo
C