Sunday, April 27, 2008

Kiwi Weekend

After my humbling few days, I did the most logical thing ever....went and got my hair done. It was 2 full hours of pampering: reading a a fashion magazine, drinking a diet coke, having someone play with your hair, getting a 15 minute head massage, and then at the end having yummy smelling, non gray hair! YAY!

The next day was ANZAC Day here in New Zealand. The closest thing I can compare it to us is Memorial Day--but not the BBQ and Swimming part of Memorial Day, but the remembering part of Memorial Day. Anzac Day is the date 90+ years ago in WWI that Australian and New Zealand troops were sent up this gorge as a part of the allied forces. It was NEARLY impossible for them to survive and was the most treachorous part that these men were given to fight and defend. They celebrate ANZAC day to remember not just the sacrifice that these military men made, but to celebrate their INTENSE courage and willingness to take something on that would end in sure death. In essence, they were given the crappiest part to send their troops in and Australian and New Zealand men showed their true spirit of taking on anything that is placed before them with bravery and honor. This is the very attitude that I see in NZ even today. A Kiwi will ALWAYS rise to the occasion. They can do anything, make anything, and are full of courage.

Here is a picture of me and Michelle after the dawn service.



There are services all around NZ at dawn celebrating and honoring the men who bravely fought. Everyone wears a poppy on their right side to remember ANZAC day...notice mine in the picture? Michelle's great granddad fought in WWI, and I went with her to the service her granddad marches in each year. It is a very cool and humbling moment. I am not Kiwi but I felt so patriotic as I sat there listening to the stories, feeling proud to be a part of this day.

Me and Michelle headed down to a cafe across from the beach after our morning (which was only 7am because the dawn service starts at 6am) We ate breakfast and sat across from the beach talking, laughing, and crying....a perfect girl morning! We carried on our conversation and sat at her house under a fun warm blanket drinking tea, while she shared her and Jared's love story. Which is pretty romantic, so I felt like I just watched the best girl movie ever!

Today I had a GREAT meeting with my two friends, Mark and Liz, who are helping me lead some stuff here in New Zealand and I walked away amazed at what I get to do with my life and who I get to do it with. Before heading to work this afternoon I had to run a little errand. I was in desperate need of a "target" day, but if you keep up on my blog you know there is no Target here. I just needed a little "wander around" mindlessly shopping after a kind of intense week. And, I wanted to buy some fun bedding to have in my room, too. So I went to a place called the Warehouse here. It isn't quite Target, but it is kind of similar and fulfilled my need. I browsed around drinking a diet coke, enjoying mindless shopping, and talking on the phone to some friends. I found a cute bedding set I loved (for kind of cheap...NZ cheapm so a little more than Target but not bad) then when I got up to the check out it was all 20% off!!



The more I get to know Kiwi culture the more I realize just how different I grew up and experience life. But there are some moments I have here when I just feel really Kiwi...I can't tell you exactly why, I just do. And this was one of those weekends!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

love the bedding! whatta good find!
i needed the same thing after last week...got my hair done and got a mani/pedi. didn't quite make up for the week, but it helped a little.

Shannon said...

i love the bedding!!!