Sunday, April 20, 2008

Theme: Do It Yourself (or as they say in NZ: DIY)

This weekend:

--Read 3 or my 4 trashy mags
--Watched Lord of the Rings (the first one)--thought is was fitting since I live in NZ and live by Hobbit town...
--Caught up on people's blogs
--Rode my new red shiny bike to the Mount (and strolled around the mount) with a new friend, Laura, and grabbed a coffee
--Watched Hannah Montana--yes it is true...I actually like that show a lot
--A worse confession: watched the entire movie....High School Musical two...I told you I was brain dead this weekend
--Went to see Definitely, Maybe with my good friend Sally...
We both liked it and needed an escape and what better way to do that then with a great girl movie....I did think that it wasn't quite as good as 27 dresses, but let's face it 27 Dresses was a like watching my life on the big screen:)
--Woke up with a headache still....
--Felt refreshed talking to Sea Jay while she was heading to Madeleine's bday party
--Choose to not have a "DO IT YOURSELF" attitude with all that I am leading and asked some good friends, Liz and Mark, who offered to help me if they would come down and help today...that is HUGE for me. I didn't have too many tasks for them, but I knew that I didn't want to start life out here by always feeling like I have to do it myself.

--Did a DO IT YOURSELF hair remedy for soft silky hair (that I read about in one of my magazines...see they are tools for learning): 1/2 avocado, 1 egg, 1 Tbl olive oil put it on for 20 mins: VOILA silky smooth hair

--Talked to Ker while my DIY remedy sat in my hair. (so good! Thanks for calling Ker)

--Went to work (with silky smooth hair) and felt so much better having Liz and Mark there to help. It is funny how just having 2 people you can trust makes a difference. I am so new here and these friends are new, but sometimes you just know who you can trust, you can't describe it you just know. I love what I do but it makes all the difference in the world to know there is other people you can look at and realize that you are all in this together.

--Had a very successful first night and laughed a lot while doing it.

What a weekend! The theme really was DIY this weekend. I always laugh that DIY is an understood abbreviation here in NZ and Australia. My first few weeks I would read it in magazines or here people say DIY (not do it yourself, but literally say D I Y) and I had no idea what they meant.  Well it really is a DIY country and I can err on the side of doing it all myself as it is without the help of being a part of a culture that values that.  So this was a big test of my pride this weekend.  I really wanted other people to help me but I knew that in the end I could DIY if I just pulled myself up by my boot straps (I had to throw in an American line...)  But I chose not to.  That was pretty huge for me.  As I shared with these guys why I needed their help it was awesome to see us work together.  I think we are going to have a fun team.

But I am not going to lie...I loved my DIY hair remedy.  I just couldn't fathom spending the heaps of money on the overpriced hair products (yes I just said heaps...yet another word I have picked up here:) And it worked so well and was less than $1!

And I still have one more magazine to read tomorrow...can life get any better?


2 comments:

Erica said...

Three things:
1) I love High School Musical every time I babysit I check to see if they have it and then I make them watch it. I have never seen the second one though.

2) I will try the DIY silky hair remedy this week. Nate is gone this week and so I won't be made fun of.

3)How's Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie?

Shannon said...

I am so trying the silky hair remedy!!!