Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I secretly LOVE country music

I know, I know, some of you may never read my blog again, but it is true. I have had to expand my music here, mostly because so many friends here love music and my friend at work wants me to have an "encounter with music like he did." :)

But tonight I have to say that I just love me some old fashion good country music. My LA roommate always used to say that a country music song is like a mini movie. It is so true...

I had a pretty homesick week last week, and I found myself telling stories from CA a lot. Luckily I have some good friends here that let me tell them over and over again. On Monday I was telling her about one of my favorite Dad memories....

A couple of years ago my Dad took me out to dinner at this yummy steak place, then we went and saw a movie--I don't remember what it was, it was just the fact that we were doing it together, then we went and got a hot chocolate at Startbucks. On the way back to the car he smiled at me and said, "Steak dinner: $60. Movies: $30 Starbucks: $10 Night with my daughter: priceless"

There are dad's that really say that stuff...and I have ONE OF THEM!! Seriously I have the best dad in the world (note: my MOM is amazing too...wait until I get the package she is sending and you will see a blog about how she cares about the little details not just for me but for the people I love...)

I am listening the Tim McGraw song: My little girl. (I have listened to it quite a few times in a row tonight...) It is a song that seems to be written for my dad to give to me. And one day while I was living in LA he sent me the CD and a sweet note that said that 13 is from me to you....the song is amazing...here are some of my favorite lines:

Verse 1:
Gotta hold on easy as I let you go.
Gonna tell you how much I love you,
though you think you already know.
I remember I thought you looked like an angel wrapped in pink so soft and warm.
You've had me wrapped around your finger since the day you were born.

Chorus:
Your beautiful baby from the outside in.
Chase your dreams but always know the road that'll lead you home again.
Go on, take on this whole world.
But to me you know you'll always be, my little girl.

Verse 3:
Someday, some boy will come and ask me for your hand.
But I won't say "yes" to him unless I know, he's the half
that makes you whole, he has a poet's soul, and the heart of a man's man.
I know he'll say that he's in love.
But between you and me. He won't be good enough!

The chorus is incredible and the way that my Dad (and mom) have always treated me. I am able to traipse all over the world because I know that I can always come back to their home.

And who couldn't like that last verse....such a dad thing...and I LOVE IT!!!


Dad I love you so much and miss you, miss our quick cell phone chats, miss getting to call you crying because I think I am not saving for my financial future, miss knowing that you will take care of my car and all the details that overwhelm me...
Thank you for being such a great role model and teaching me that I was valuable and adored. I love you!

always your pumpkin

2 comments:

Mother of Pearl said...

Music is a wonderful gift. I am so glad you are embracing that gift. I brings us joy, makes us cry, dance sing and react. It also comforts us in sorrow and insights memories that flood us with emotion. I love music...and I know that soon you too will understand its powers.

Fleck, the Mrs. said...

Hi Hi!!! I'm so glad to see your blog. You need to read mine "I'm going country". We're kindred spirits even when we're miles apart.