Thursday, May 22, 2008

Only in New Zealand (part 8)


So did you know that they make shirts with WOOL in them? I sure didn't!!

I have been FREEZING here in NZ. I feel like I can't get warm. Now some of that has to do with the fact that there is NO central heating in NZ at all!!! Yikes that means that when you expect to walk in a warm house, restaurant, or business it is NOT warm. It is about the temp outside or colder...What in the world?

A few weeks ago people started saying you aren't wearing any wool. I was so confused and I had it with being the dumb American that didn't know something else. And I thought, of course I am not wearing a wool sweater... I would be freezing, yet again and then once again they would say you are so cold, you don't have a wool on. Most times they would point to their long sleeve shirt. I kept thinking, "Got it. I have one of those on too and it is not keeping me warm at all!" While at the same time thinking "they aren't wearing a wool sweater so why do they keep saying I need wool on?"

Well, yesterday my life changed forever! And now I think I will make it through the winter here. I was complimenting Ali's cool top and she said, "and it's wool."

WAIT BACK UP! WHAT?!? She saw my confused face and then I just asked the question: "What? That is wool?"

And in that moment she realized I had no idea what they had been talking about for the last three weeks. She was so wonderful and explained to me that the shirts they were all wearing were wool. It blew my whole idea of what I thought wool was out of the water. She sweetly told me where to go buy some shirts. (thanks MOM & DAD!)

It really did change my life....they are just thin little shirts that made me the happiest (and warmest) girl in NZ.

Who knew...wool shirts????

Funny how if I would have just asked the question I would have been warm, but hey what do you do?

No comments: