Thursday, May 8, 2008

Netball is not like Basketball

Why is this a true statement? Is it because you can't run with the ball in Netball? Nope not really. Is it because you literally stop dead in your tracks when you catch the ball and try to get rid of it as fast as you can? Kind of, but that isn't it. Is it because you only have two people on the court that can shoot the ball (in indoor netball that is)? No, not even that. Is it because there is no backboard?! No--but seriously that is so much harder. Is it because if you hit someone or make a body contact the game stops and you then stand next to your opponent while they shoot or pass? Nope, but I did frustrate the ref when I did that and had no idea what he meant when he said "stand next to her." Huh? It was almost like getting sent to the corner, but you were next to the person. Is it because you have to stand a meter away from the person when the shoot? No it isn't quite that, but let me say this...everything is just more chill in this country, even a "fast pace" sport is not as frantic and chaotic.

So why is not like basketball? I was actually ok at it....I am SO not good at basketball, but I walked in the gym...which always makes me feel a little bit like coming home, since I grew up in a sports family and spent most of my childhood in a gym, I realized this was my first look at netball. It made no sense to me, and there were all these rules I just wasn't getting. Then they put me in the game. (which is actually the best way for me to learn anything) I actually picked it up kind of fast because the main premise is get the ball and pass it. I wasn't a shooter so I didn't have to worry about anything except getting it down the court or stopping it from getting it down the court. Not a whole lot of coordination was necessary for me...I caught the ball and didn't have to dribble, just had to pass it away.

I did laugh a little at how odd it is to be in such different cultures. There were so many rules that I just missed, I tried to intuitively figure out what those rules were so I didn't violate any of them. I wonder how often people enter my worlds that I am a part of and do the same thing. There were new phrases I didn't really understand, there were hand gestures that I didn't get, but I did realize the consequence--the game stopped and the ball went to the other team. You feel a bit dumb because you just don't know what you are doing. I am not a big fan of that feeling, but since I have lived in a different culture for 4 months I am aware that it is sometimes just a part of every day life. I can't say I like it now, but I am used to it. I don't talk about how much I feel it in NZ, but I feel it on a daily basis. There are just so many little things that we do that are unspoken rules of any group we are a part of...there is nothing wrong with that. The reality though is it can make people feel inferior or make people withdraw and we end up not seeing their best, not because they aren't amazing, but because they feel less than or "not on their game." I have such a high value for the human potential. I think that there is greatness in each of us. So a simple thing like not knowing you don't give pedastrians the right away (so bizarre to remember that one) can actually hinder someone's best. It is weird to think about it like that. But an act that has seemingly little to do with someone's greatness can affect their courage and their self confidence. It might not be this concrete, but it is there. When you feel dumb in one area, why would you risk feeling dumb in another...even if it is what you are created to do and what you are amazing at doing?

The challenge for me because two fold. One, simply is to be a self led person. Becoming self aware that I am allowing a simple cultural rule dictate my confidence helps me get past that and focus once again on what I am good at, what I can use within myself to better humanity. But even beyond that, and more importantly, it reminds me that the sub-cultures a part of my daily life must be monitored. Any group of people forms a sub culture--we have language or gestures that we put meaning to that to any outsider might not get the same meaning. If I really want to be someone that loves people and values the human heart and potential, I must be aware of this. Do I leave my subcultures? No, that is impossible, but I do stop and realize an important lesson: Life must not be about me. I know, I know, we learn that in kindergarten, but do I really get it? When life becomes about me, I stop thinking about how others might feel when they come into my group of friends. I stop considering how it feels to be new in a group of people. I look the other way when I tell a story with so many past reference and jokes, not really caring that someone doesn't get it in the group.

That is not who I want to be...I want to be someone that creates space for people to enjoy being included. Inclusiveness is the biggest gift you can give a human soul. It translates into acceptance. And when I feel accepted something in me changes. Courage rises up, I am free to not hide, I see others more than myself. This is the kind of person I hope to be...

Funny how a game of netball can land me in such a deep discussion. But I guess in the end it is probably the biggest reminder of all to me...do things that you aren't comfortable doing. It is a catalyst to help you care more about humanity. What would happen if we truly cared about humanity...even just for one day?

2 comments:

Mother of Pearl said...

What an incredibly unique concept...including people into your life. Helping them cope and understanding how sensitive we are as a society..Dana you are amazing.!!

Love For Glamour said...

I loved this blog dana! I had to speak today in front of some highschool girls... and this gave me so much inspiration for my little speech that i had.... i quoted some of your words about being courageous and inclusive! ;) Love u lots...