Saturday, May 3, 2008

NZ Music Month Might have Made Me like Music...

It is NZ Music Month--they dedicate the whole month of May to only NZ artists. There are shows everywhere, only NZ artists are played on the radio, and the hype around music is at an all time high. And for me today I kind of had a music breakthrough...maybe. I just got home from a concert (we called them shows in LA...when you are in a small bar it just doesn't seem like a concert to me, but since I am in NZ, I say what they say) My friends all here LOVE music and going to concerts. It reminds me of my summer in Riverside. I went to so many shows, having Dan teach me about music so I wasn't too lame. I just have never been that into music. I announced one night at dinner after being asked what my style of music was, "I don't really like music." It was like I had just said I hate your mom. All my friends froze...I guess I should have figured that was a dumb comment since we were having dinner after a band practice.

I am always up for hanging out, so I love going with my friends I am just not always entertained like they are. But tonight it was well worth my $10. (and it was wonderful not to have to fight for parking, pay for parking, and have a 2 drink min...it made me really not miss LA tonight...LA friends, yes. LA traffic, no!) While I was completely enjoying myself I did feel a tiny bit guilty thinking how much Moni and Kimberly would be loving this moment, so I tried extra hard to enjoy it for them.

I heard two bands. The first was Luke Thompson. He was really good, and I will actually being going to his concert later this month, too. He is kind of a mix between John Mayer and Jack Johnson.


Bruce Conlon was the last band up, and he was really good, too...I am not sure what is happening to me, but maybe I do like music after all. He did cover, Kelly Clarkson--Since You've Been Gone, which was rather funny, but he was great. He was very nostalgic for my friends because he was in a band for 10 years here that they all loved. This is his first solo album, so it was fun to listen to my friends talk about some of their favorite moments of music gone past.



I also listened to this new band my friend Scott told me about--VHS Or Beta (can you believe it Moni?) It is a great band, too. I feel like I had a slight music breakthrough....but for me a slight breakthrough is good.

So, all in all, I had a lot of music today and it is only May 3rd....what is going to happen to me by the end of May?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Super. I think it should be renamed from NZ Music Month, to NZ Rain Month, if today is anything to go by.
Loving the blog keep it pumping.